- 1 cup Fresh spinach, cut into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp. chopped red onions
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped tomatoes
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 cup ATHENOS Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese, divided
- Calories 130
- Fat 9g (sat 3.5g)
- Cholesterol 225mg
- Sodium 280mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Dietary fiber 1g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 10g
- Vit-A 40% DV
- Vit-C 6% DV
- Calcium 10% DV
- Iron 8% DV
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (5.7-ounce) box uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced radishes (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To prepare salad, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Spoon couscous into a large bowl; cool slightly. Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley, and pine nuts; toss gently to combine.
To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to combine.
Note: You can toast nuts quickly in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Stir frequently, and as soon as they become fragrant, remove the nuts from the pan.
Seared Steak Salad with Balsamic-Shallot Reduction
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons NESCAFÉ TASTER’S CHOICE House Blend 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds (3/4-inch-thick) flank steak
7 1/2 cups baby arugula or spinach leaves
1 1/2 cups pear or cherry tomato halves
Sliced red onion (optional)
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese or Gorgonzola cheese (optional)
COMBINE vinegar, shallots and sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until reduced by half (you should have about 1/4 cup dressing remaining). Set aside.
PLACE coffee granules, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper in small bowl; crush and combine ingredients with back of spoon. Pat steak dry, then sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over both sides of steak; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
HEAT large, nonstick grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot (or preheat outdoor grill over medium-high heat). Add steak; cook for 4 minutes (cover if you are using outdoor grill). Turn over; reduce heat to medium. Cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board; let steak rest for 5 minutes.
CUT steak against the grain (slices should be about 1/4-inch thick). Divide arugula among five plates; top evenly with steak, tomatoes and onion. Drizzle with balsamic-shallot reduction; sprinkle with cheese.
|Calories: 220||Calories from Fat: 60||Total Fat: 7 g|
|Saturated Fat: 2.5 g||Cholesterol: 35 mg||Sodium: 430 mg|
|Carbohydrates: 13 g||Dietary Fiber: 2 g||Sugars: 10 g|
|Protein: 26 g|
Sweet Ginger Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 6 ounces, sliced into strips
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/3 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup snow peas
- 1/4 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 pinch (or to taste) hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Add 1/2 cup of rice for additional carbohydrates
1. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt & pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick wok or large non-stick skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, tossing with a wooden spoon, until the chicken begins to brown. Turn off the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate.
3. Blanch the broccoli in the boiling water until the stems just begin to get tender, about 1 or 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Add the sesame oil and garlic cloves to the wok. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly golden. Remove the garlic, add the ginger and cook for another minute.
5. Turn the heat to high, add the carrots and cook, tossing with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Add the peas, red peppers and hot pepper flakes, continue tossing with the spoon and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chicken, broccoli, vinegar and soy sauce and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately over a bed of rice.
Serving Size: about 2 1/2 cups of chicken and vegetables
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Pepper
Nutrition Score per serving: (1 pepper): 237 calories, 6 g fat (23% of calories), 2 g saturated fat, 35 g carbs, 12 g protein, 10 g fiber, 171 mg calcium, 3 mg iron, 260 mg sodium
2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
6 red bell peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup diced carrots
1/2 red onion, diced
1 10-ounce fresh spinach
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella (leave out to reduce calories)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F. Boil 1 1/3 cups water in a saucepan; add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Keep covered; set aside. Remove pepper tops, stems, and seeds. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers, boil for 5 minutes, and drain. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrots; cook for 3 minutes. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in spinach and beans. Remove from heat and mix in quinoa and chili powder. Fill peppers with quinoa mixture and place upright in a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Add just enough water to form a very thin layer in the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Banana Nut Muffins
2 cups Almond Meal
1/4 cup of ground Flax Seed
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
5 Ripe Banana’s (smashed)
2 tsp Organic honey
4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups Walnut Halves
2 Cups Blueberries
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Use 2 bowls. 1 for the dry ingredients and 1 for the wet.
- Use a mixer if you have one or stir until combined (if you don’t use a mixer, be sure to really smash the bananas)
- Use Olive Oil as needed to grease the pan and/or muffin tray
- Makes 24 muffins (or) 12 muffins and a Banana Bread Loaf
- Bake the muffins for 22-24 minutes and the Banana Bread Loaf for 30 minutes
- Store in the refrigerator for longer lasting muffins